We do for others because we don't know how to do for ourselves. We do for others because we feel it is the only way to make up for the damage we feel our craziness is doing to society. We do for others because it makes us feel good when nothing else in the whole world does, not even pills. We stay quiet and sit in the corner because others seem so much more needy. We require so little, you and I. A fact which does not sit well with others who would label us as too much to handle. When in truth, all those such as us really need is a bit of understanding, a bit of reciprocation, maybe a touch on the cheek once in a while and a sly wink. The rest of the world is needy. I'd rather be crazy. ~~Aimee

Friday, 1 July 2011

Paddles, Creeks, and Buckets

When I lay down this morning, my head had a little man banging a drum inside of it. He wasn't very good and he only knew one tune which he insisted on playing continuously. It was his playing that caused me to lie down 2 hrs earlier than I normally do. You see I work at night and sleep during the day. Or well I pretend to sleep much more than I actually sleep, but it's the only way I can get to be "alone" in a house full of people that don't quite grasp the concept that I prefer "alone". 

So this morning when the little man began to play his drum inside my head and the light kissed the sky, I decided I would lie down. However the universe had other plans. 

After I had been lying down about half an hour, my MIL came running into my room, arms waving, mumbling something which I ignored. I sighed and turned over. It was going to be one of those days. I often ignore my MIL. She rants I say "theeka" (which means OK btw). I have found this method keeps me from committing murder so it is something I do often. About half an hour after my MIL went out, my SIL comes in. She's going on about something and water and something and water. I open one eye, mumble something, curse the man playing the drum in my head and turn over. It would take me all of 45 secs to realize what my SIL had been saying. You see I ignore her a lot too. Again murder is not one of the things on my bucket list however ignoring is. 

When my SIL left, I turned over, closed my eyes and prayed that no one else would come in my room. I prayed for aloneness instead I got water. You see I sleep on the floor and it took the something water my SIL had been mumbling about all of 45 secs to reach me after she left. It took me 0.5 secs to become fully awake, jump up, grab my computer and work things off the floor. The sheets and pillows offered themselves as willing sacrifices so that my attention could be fully upon getting all of my electronic equipment out of the water that was now pouring into my room from the door that connects my room with the alley way. 

Apparently when I decided to lie down this morning, the universe decided it would rain. Heavily. When the universe rains heavily, our alley way floods, and when our alley way floods, water pours into our house from every open crevice. While this happens every time it rains, it doesn't always flood the entire house. Usually we can contain it in the patio area which is "outside" sorta, but easily cleaned with no harm done. However today there was no containing the surge that poured through the alley way and through our entire house. This happens 3-4 times a year so we all knew what to do.

Once the water started to recede, we each took our positions. My BIL first in line, then me, then my MIL, then my SIL, then another BIL who just happened to be visiting. With squeegees, brooms, and buckets we began to push the water from one end of the house to the other. The line must work together or else the water rushes back in. For two hours we pushed. Arms burning. Back aching, but we pushed. Until there was nothing left but a few puddles here and there. 

The carpets were removed and will stay on the roof until the sun dries them out. The 2 inch foam mat that serves as our sofa/dining table/bed will also have a place in the sun for the next week or so. A simple sheet will have to take its place until it can return to its duties.

By the time the floor was dry enough that I could lie down I had been awake for more than 36hrs  and the little man in my head began to play louder. Finally I somehow managed to turn my brain off long enough to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up and began putting my computer and work station back together, I realized my computer did not work. Luckily I have a BIL who is more computer savy than me so after two hours and numerous silent swear words said only in my mind later the two of us managed to get it working again.

And considering I still haven't murdered anyone yet I'd say I handled it well.

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...